Wednesday, December 19, 2012

My New Normal

Four years ago today, everything in life that was "normal" changed forever. Mom had been sick all week with "the flu", but that morning it became clear something else was amiss. Just hours later we would receive the news that felt like the biggest kick in the gut, "there is nothing we can do..."
Those words signaled the end of normalcy for me. No more getting those phone calls right as we sat down for dinner. No more calling on Saturday mornings to see if she had eaten yet, then she would promptly cook up a storm so we could head over to the house and eat with her. No more calling mom for advice or to tell her the latest good news.My kids left without a grandma, my dad left without his wife, and my brothers and I left without our mom. Normal was no longer a word I could truly use in life.

Time has passed and we have been forced to try an go on. Life has even taken on a new path that seems somewhat normal. Perhaps the definition of "normal" has changed in my life. After December 19, 2008, everything that was normal changed, and the reality is, there is nothing we could have done, or can do about it except redefine what the new "normal" is in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment